The Scarlet Letter







The Scarlet Letter..







We have been reading this book in our english class as of late. It sounded like an awful book, when it was first described to me, and in theory and idea, it is in fact, just that. However, when we began to read it, I couldn't help but being interested. It has been an eye-opener for me. I have been engaged in thought throughout this whole book-almost to the point of finding it difficult to think on the book its-self. I was hit by an interesting thought the other day, as we were working our way through the book. I've shared it with some, which proved to be a silly idea. Many have found it to be amusing, or as a joke--However, I am VERY serious.




My idea is this:




WE ALL HAVE A SCARLET LETTER...



Though ours may not be forever sewn upon our breast, to give us grief for the rest of our lives. It may not have been publicly confessed, so others may not have any idea of the shame and sorrows you bear. It is still there. Deep down inside of you, weighing you down. You still feel as if everyone else can see it, and they are judging you. depressing "Aha" moment, I know. However.. there's another side to it. This character, Hester Prynne... though she begins as the sinner, the woman being beheld upon the scaffold as the shame of the town, develops into quite the go-to woman. The town finds her to be more than her mistakes. She's a valuable nurse, seamstress and many other things. She uses that as a way to relate to people. Instead of being weighed down, or depressed about herself constantly, she relates to others who have struggles of their own. She sees visions of others who have fallen in the community (a bit far-fetched) still, the point is there. I was so encouraged by her being so strong. For six years, she held her head high. She continued to wear the "A" upon her breast, and keep her partner in crime (the preacher) a secret.. even the new guy in town (her husband).. She does it all on her own. Not using their secrets as black-mail. She doesn't ask for money, or a babysitter. She works and earns her own way, tries to raise her daughter right. Her A.. Though it begins as a symbol of ADULTERY- changes as the novel progresses to ABLE. 


How beautiful. Let this be an encouragement to you- as it was for me. 
You don't have to wear your heart-ache on your sleeve, or seek out others who are struggling. But there is strength in numbers. It's always nice to know you aren't alone. And as Hester, you can use what's been given to you, and change it. She could have said "I'm already known as a harlet.. I might as well leave my daughter, work the corners and get paid for what everyone knows I've done".. Instead. She made a life for herself, and her daughter. 


Be that woman. (Save the adultery part..) make the most of what you've been given.. change your scarlet letter from (______________) to ABLE. For that is what we all are, In Christ!






Comments

Popular Posts