Family get-togethers: keeping it simple

My favorite family events are the one that only request you being a side. It's cheaper and easier to be creative. The possibilities are endless! 
However; it's also easy to get carried away. I always want to impress and make something new or fancy. From experience I've learned that it's best to keep it simple, stick with what you know or do a test run before the event. 

This year for the 4th of July I decided to make 3 items. All new to me but seemingly simple. 
1. Cracker Barrel hashbrown casserole
2. Pots de le creme in a cake-box pie shell served with whip cream
3. Garlic breadsticks. 

I had seen a few things here-and-there that inspired each recipe. They all looked/sounded fool-proof! So, off I went. 
Taking my own advice, I made each the day before so my "taste-tester" and food critic could give them a try, thumbs up or thumbs down. 
We were pleased with everything! And keeping true with my passion, all were inexpensive to make!


I found these breadsticks for crazy cheap! They were just under a dollar for 6. I cut them in half to serve 12 then melted 1/2 of butter which I already had and put in my herb blend. I drizzled the butter over the top and baked for a few minutes before the event so they could be served warm. 

The hashbrown casserole was honestly for my benefit.. I'm addicted to it and was dying to see if I really could make it at home! The conclusion, I totally can!! Tastes just like it! 
1 large bag of frozen hashbrowns 
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 stick of butter (melted)
1 10oz can of cream of chicken
1 cup of Colby cheese (shredded)
Salt and pepper to taste
The total cost was under $5.00 and it was SO simple to make. You combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, spread evenly into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 375* for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. 
I did add green onions and parsley (really, just because I had some I needed to use and it sounded good.)

Lastly, the dessert. 
I saw this pots de le creme recipie on the pioneer woman one day and jotted it down to try. It's really easy and cheap so I decided it would work for the 4th. 
All you need is:
A blender
4 eggs
12oz semi sweet or milk chocolate chips
1 cup of HOT strong coffee
Tsp of vanilla
Add in the chocolate chips and eggs. Pulse until the chips are broken up a bit. Add in the vanilla and coffee slowly from the top until it's smooth. Place in the fridge for 2 hours before serving to chill. 

Easy, right? And cheap! All I had to buy was the whipped cream for the top and the chocolate chips so it was around $2.00

There was just one problem.. She served hers in individual wine glasses. I was not about to buy several wine glasses to only use once. Especially knowing I had nowhere to put them! So, I improvised by making pie cups.. From cake mix! 

You will need, 
1 box of cake mix (I used vanilla)
1 egg
3 egg yolks
1tbs butter DO NOT MELT

Mix ingredients until crumbly. Place on floured surface, roll out, cut into rounds and place in a mini muffin pan. Bake at 350* for a few minutes until golden brown. These were cute, easy to eat and cheap. I paid $1.00!! 
I came up with 40something.. I'm leaving the whipped cream until the very end.


(Please note all these prices are based off of already having coffee, vanilla, eggs and butter)

I hope you've enjoyed your 4th of July celebration. Don't forget to have fun with the family! Be safe and feel good about what you bring! You'll always be the best chef in your kitchen ;)


My little "helper"

Comments

Popular Posts