Now that I'm pregnant, I can't seem to get enough of Brussels! Everyone gives me a crazy look when I say this. which I guess I can't really blame them for, they're not the most popular of vegetables. Still, I thought it would be fun to share my recipe! No worries, I'm not becoming a food blogger- just want to represent these amazing veggies! I have a newfound respect for them and hopefully you will too after trying my recipe.

Pict sweet frozen Brussels (much better taste and color.. I think they're fresher than canned)
(To taste)
Butter
Salt
Pepper
Lemon
Onion, chopped

I add as many Brussels as I will need to a pot- cover them about half way with water, put on a lid and while I cut the onion, let them simmer. I then add the chopped onions, butter, salt, pepper and a hint of lemon (to taste) and put the lid back on to cook awhile longer (really just until the onions are soft)

Brussels only take 3 minutes to cook- but you can let them simmer longer until they're the desired softness.
A little tip: poke them a few times each with a fork or toothpick before adding the butter and seasonings- this can make even the core taste better (which is usually what turns people off to them.. It tends to be a little bitter)
Also, if you do go with a canned option, I would pour the contents of the can into a colander and rinse until the juices from the can are removed.


Comments

Popular Posts