Opportunity knocks..

After my recent post about being a serious Control Freak.. and asking God for an opportunity to choose His ways, over mine; I was given just that. An opportunity.

Recently, our church gave the youth these gifts to hand out at school.
Called LifeBooks. Put together by Gideons. They are designed to be easily related with teenagers. And sort of a loophole. Recently, with all the political issues (separation of church and state) it's been decided that teachers or anyone in an authoritative position at schools cannot persuade a child in any way, or hand anything religion affiliated out.
However, students, still have the right. One that will taken away soon, I'm sure. But for now; we have every bit of freedom to share these gifts with our school. This past Wednesday, we were given 25 each, to start the LifeBook movement in our schools.

We watched four quick tutorials briefing us on how to hand them out: Don't force them upon people, or try to make them feel bad- they are JUST gifts. Be prepared to answer questions, or explain what they are to people. Hand them out in person, outside of class. Don't go against authority's wishes about handing them out....ETC.

Towards the end of the night, we were asked to pray silently to ourselves and think of people to give these LifeBooks to. I just sat there, I did pray but waited until I got home to make a list of the five people I would hand them out to every day. I began writing personal messages and tucking them in there, along with how to contact me, should anyone have questions.

So, I went to hand them out before a trip I had with school. I hadn't given out but two and I was in the middle of briefly explaining what they were; when someone approached me and asked if they could have one.
That's when it hit me. My list.. I was doing it, again. I had taken control of a God-Thing. I was trying to turn this into another list. What was I supposed to say..
 "So, I know this is totally about Jesus, and it's a free gift and everything. But you aren't in black ink on this piece of notebook paper.. so I'm gonna have to go with No."
I quickly and discreetly took the note out of the book and handed it to the young man. "Of course you can" I said, with a smile on my face. Then I finished explaining what it was, all-the-while, the same guy stood there listening intently.
The next day, I saw him walking around school, reading it. Which was one of the most touching things I've experienced in a little while. I'm so glad that this happened.
 Another reminder that God really is on top of things. And his ways are SO much higher than my own. The holy spirit moves, in a beautiful way, that is sometimes evident to only us. I doubt he noticed that I took a piece of paper from the book, or that it wasn't intended for him. He doesn't know I had a list or anything other than he has a book to read. And that's the beautiful thing about it. This wasn't about him, it's about God showing me, and tugging on my heart strings that He is in control, not me.

Comments

Popular Posts