My first car..






















There's moments in life when you have to step back and say "You're right."
Though it's sometimes hard to do, it shows humility.
My car, would be no exception to those times.

I've never been a ridiculous person, one who wants superfluous things. Still, an old, beat up, not at all in it's hay-day 1995 Honda Civic was NOT my dream car, or first choice. (My dream car at that time, wouldn't have been much better.. but you know)
However; when it was just inside my budget, I wanted so very badly to be free and with a little of dad's coaxing- it was mine, and more of a blessing than I had thought.
It took me awhile to get my money saved back up. After buying my car, and fixing stuff on it.. I was seriously broke, and taking on more hours at work, and odd jobs to not be held down by debts. I know now that it wasn't really anything to whine about. Even in its iffy condition, it's hard to find a car that will get-up-and-go for $1550..
Dad had told me that it was a "good starter car" he continued with, "one you can make all your mistakes in." And it was just that, at times. The part I have to tell him now, He was right about. Sure, at first I was washing it every weekend, driving under the speed limit.. But that didn't last too long. I got comfortable, and started making those mistakes. Still, more than just an old, beat up car- it was all mine.
No way of forgetting that.. I bought it, with all my savings, paid insurance, tags, put gas in it, checked the oil.. I learned to drive a stick in it. There were times it left me stranded, or I abused it. But that's not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of it.
It was my first "adult move" saving up and working for something I wanted. Being responsible for taking care of it. And whoever rode in the passenger seat.

It was sad to see it go today.. lifted on a forklift, with one swift move, as I was given in exchange 2 $100 bills.. Not that I'm complaining. It was more than critics had me anticipating, for it's beat up shape. I still held out hope that they were wrong. But knew it was probably just me finding sentimental value, and pointing out the few things about it that were left to hold in esteem. "Look, the windows.. no cracks. The tint is perfect.. and what about..."
 a hand-shake to seal the deal. And my scribble of a signature on the title, I handed over the keys.. and watched it disappear, in the rear-view. As I drove away. With my customers receipt and $200.

Comments

Popular Posts