Cheryl's lesson...


Every Sunday at church, my dear friend Cheryl, will walk up to me and ask “ Hello, Miss Tamara, How are you?” I always say the same thing to her. “oh, I'm pretty good... how about yourself??” it has always seemed to me as a perfect response, it's a happy medium between good and bad, and a place where we should all feel comfortable admitting we are. But that never seems to satisfy her, she then seems to always say the same thing, as she reaches out to me to touch my wrist gently with a smile. “Ugh, only pretty good??....” “Yes Ma'am” is always my reply. Then we go our separate ways...
and from that point,I've always just kinda blown it off, and went along on my way. Without a second thought. But recently I've been thinking more about that question. “how are you” I guess my problem is, Usually I confuse that question with something like “how was your day today?” or “how are you feeling today?” ... when she asks me “how are you”, I can usually think of at LEAST one or two things that could make my day not so great... being rushed to get ready for church, spilling coffee on myself or something that has been bothering me from the night before or even all week long. so I'll just say “pretty good” because after all It can always be worse and saying terrible would be a bit dramatic. But I the more I think About it, the more I find myself going back to her response. “Ugh, only pretty good??....” for the longest time I thought she was just being sarcastic, or giving me a hard time about me taking things so personally and seriously all the time. But now that I'm beginning to think about it more, the more I begin to understand. She just like everyone else, has had her share of troubles, and from what she's shared with me, she has every right to use my response and say she's only “pretty good”. And yet, she is one of the most positive people I know, every time I've asked her how she was, no matter the circumstance or situation, she's always said “I'm just great!!.” it had puzzled me when she said that, when I knew that she had some stuff going on that could easily bog me down if I were in her shoes, and it could keep me from saying that I was “just great!!!!..” but now, I understand. She was ( and is) able to say that because she Has the promise that we all do in Christ. The promise that we are provided for. And we have every reason to be “just great”

Philippians 4:11-12
“ I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content
whatever the circumstances, I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to
have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation whether
well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want”

Cheryl had learned the secret of having her joy being made complete. ( 1st John 1:4)
and that no matter her circumstance, she was able to say that she was “JUST GREAT” because she knows that no matter the need, or problem, she is provided for. And she knew that she could hold her head high and abide in that Joy she had been given through Christ.

Basically when I give my pathetic “pretty good” response I'm spitting in God's face and telling Him that what He's given me isn't good enough for me to squeeze a “just great” from... and all I ever give him is “pretty good”.

so next time when she asks me how I am, instead of focusing on how frustrated I was getting ready for church that morning, or the things that had been bothering me that week. I will answer with what Jesus has given me in mind. And how much more blessings I have than worries, and I will say that I am “just great,” because I am. No matter how stormy or rocky my life may be at that moment . I know that I have a savior who loves me so much He died on the cross for my sake. So that when troubles come my way. I can consider them pure joy ( James 1 :2-4)
And I will be able to tell the world that I am “just great”
and finally, I can rest assure that I will never be tempted beyond what I am able to handle with His help. I'll always know that no matter what comes my way, he'll give me the strength to come out more than just “pretty good”
( 1st Corinthians 10:13).
So... How are you today??.

Comments

  1. I already commented on the note on facebook.... but wow! That is an amazing picture! I'm assuming you took it, so good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope!!! actually Joanna took it. I asked her for permission to put it on here. I was going to say something like "credit goes to Joanna" but they also don't have tha option to put captions for photos. :((

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts