Untold advice

When you find out you are expecting EVERYONE has advice and stories to share. So, how is it that there's still SO MUCH that you weren't warned about?
With Phoenix my biggest struggle at first was the recovery. I was foolish enough to think as soon as I gave birth I would have my body back. Little did I know it would be awhile before I felt normal again. 
This time around it has been an adjustment everywhere! Going from a family of three to a family of four has been a huge change. 

Getting out of the house takes forever and I feel like we pack up half the house only to get half way there and think of something we forgot! 
I change a million diapers. 
Getting everyone bathed is a circus attraction. 
The laundry and dishes multiply like rabbits. 
I measure time in feelings.. It's crazy how little I can get done in the hour I have before feelings IF he can be safely put down (his sister is sometimes a terror!) 

So anyway.. Here are a few things no one told me that I'm learning on my own. Maybe they can help someone else. 

Babies will cry. Period. Don't take every tear personally. As long as you are trying to make it better you aren't a bad parent. 

You will be SO tired! You'll find yourself feeling your toothbrush to determine if you brushed your teeth today or even smelling your Pitts hoping there's deodorant. 

There is no definite answer. When you are a parent Google is NOT your friend. Everyone has heir own opinions, success and horror stories. What worked for someone else's kid may or may not for yours. Ask people you trust that have kids before you turn to the web. 

Ask them BUT don't feel obligated to do it their way! You are the parent. You will have to make the decisions for your child and be able to live with them. 

Don't be too proud. As a mom there will be a lot of weak moments and embarrassment. Don't take yourself too seriously. Sing along to the cartoon, let yourself cry, ask for help, play dress up and eat the plastic food at tea parties. 

Perfect is impossible. Your Pinterest crafts won't always look like the picture, the toys won't be organized, books will be missing pages, you will loose socks.. Loose the socks and keep your mind! Don't stress the little stuff

Find the time. To rest. To spend one-on-one time with each kid. To have fun. 

Don't be down on yourself. Find confidence. Be the best mom you can be! That starts with being the best you you can be. 

Take some shortcuts. I am the cheapest person EVER. I will buy pretzels and chocolate because it's cheaper than buying chocolate covered pretzels. Then I will stay up way too late making them. I've had to learn to sometimes buy the already cooked rotisserie chicken, instant mashed potatoes or boxed Mac n' cheese. 

My idea of "ready" has been reinvented. These days I am happy if I've showered and have on clean clothes. Make-up is optional and clothing is more about comfort than making a statement. It is important to be clean and sometimes do a little extra for your husband but don't feel like you have to look amazing all the time. 

Take lots of pictures
Snuggle a lot
Practice patience
Pray often
Journal your ugly thoughts then throw them away
Alternate fun with productivity 
Make your marriage a priority. Your husband is your teammate. Raising kids won't work if you don't give your relationship the nurturing it needs. 

Comments

Popular Posts