Stop!

I can't tell you how often at a stop- I look behind me and see people digging in their purses, on their phones, trying to find something in the floor, messing with kids in the back or playing with the radio..etc. It seems in this busy type culture we've made for ourselves we can't ever JUST STOP. Even when we are sitting in a still car we use those few seconds to do something else.
 I'm not encouraging doing those things WHILE driving or even being lazy.. I just think it may be a huge testimony to many of our spiritual states. We struggle to be still, wait upon the Lord and listen for a response. I can't even say these people behind me are christians- but I'm sure many of us who are saved struggle with not enough time during the day and multitasking to the max.

I'm guilty of this "business" as well. I often do what I call "briefing God" a prayer request or thought will pop in my mind, I'll quickly mutter a prayer and go on. It's better than never praying at all.. but I should be eager to hear what God has to say in return. My heart should be open- my body should be still and my mind should be calm. But so often, it's not!

I may not be digging in the floor of my car while at a red-light but there's still a part of me that is unavailable and occupied at all times. I'm never at a point where there isn't something I'm anxious or in thought over.. And when I'm in that state of mind, the Lord can't fully take over- to show me His will or give me His peace which is ultimately the goal we should be reaching towards in our quiet time. The Bible confirms:
Psalm 46:10
"Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
Isaaiah 40:31
"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

What will it take for us to be a nation that can be still? one that trades in the "Hurry up" mindset we live in for waiting upon the Lord and His plans for us? can we still our hearts enough to let His love and peace enter?
and better yet- why do we live feeling anxious and rushed- knowing theres a savior willing to give us rest?

I don't have the answers- I imagine none of us do. But maybe once our eyes have been opened to this we can work towards achieving the relationship God desires to have with us. That's my hope and prayer for not just myself- but all of you as well.

Comments

Popular Posts