Questions

When I was younger, I liked to question things. Movies were no exception. In fact, I often questioned them more than anything else.

My dad never found this amusing. Rather, annoying. He would always pause the movie, turn to me and say
"Tamara. Hush. It's JUST a movie"
While I never found his response the least bit nice, I have learned from it.

I was interested in the who, what when, where and why- while my dad and the rest of the family were interested in the entertainment. My questions only made them turn up the volume so they could hear over me.

I quickly learned to watch the movie and take into account that it was "just a movie" and not everything had to make sense. If there was the occasional question I found to be worth asking, I would save it until afterward. This seemed to be a lot more affective. Dad was more apt to answer them or explain things when it didn't mean he was missing what was going on.

I've found in my own life recently there have been lots of questions I've asked with no answer. While it's frustrating, not knowing things that I think would make me feel better.. I'm reminded of my dad's statement. Can that apply to more than JUST movies?

We often say "that's JUST the way it is" or has to be/has been. Should I have this attitude towards my questions? Stress less over the unknowns and find solace in the fact that there are JUST some things I'll have to accept?

Or maybe, like the movie.. I should wait until someday my questions can be answered. And for now, I'm supposed to do the best I can with what I know.

After all, knowing isn't everything. Knowing why something happened doesn't necessarily mean it will be any easier to handle or that it will change anything.

So I'll save my questions for later- the ones worth asking. And for now, I'll sit and wait patiently with what I do know.

Comments

Popular Posts