Two more weeks and two mouths to feed (on a budget)

Guys!! This week I did very well! Not only did I stay on track with our budget, I got some "extras" for FREE! I wouldn't be a good friend if I didn't let you in on a little secret.. Dollar general (with a clipping from previous visits receipt or a digital coupon) gives you $5 off a purchase of $25 or more! So this week I hit dollar general first to see what I could get from my list.. Here's what I bought there. 

2 for $1.00 taco seasoning and country gravy 
1.00 instant rice
1.00 hamburger buns
3.00 protein bars
2.00 paper plates
2.00 toilet paper
1.00 paper towels
5.00 charcoal
1.00 pancake mix 
2.00 instant potatoes
2.00 cereal
3.00 dr pepper 
1.00 tortillas 

So, my total was a little over $25.00 and I got $5.00 off! Can't beat that! :)

Then I was off to Walmart to get the rest of my list.(notice, I made sure to get only dry goods from dollar general)
5.00 rotisserie chicken 
3.00 burritos
3.00 potatoes
3.00 green onions, onions, mushrooms
3.00 ham steak- price matched from harps
4.00 ground beef
.88 stick butter- price matched from harps
2.00 potato wedges
1.00 biscuits
2.00 sausage
3.00 mozzarella 
4.00 chicken fried steak


Here we go.. 
The buns will be used for a few meals.
 First, I am using 1/2 the chicken to make chicken salad sandwiches
1/2 the ham steak will be used to make grilled ham and cheese sandwiches 
(They will both be served with a side of potato wedges)
The other half of the chicken will be paired with rice, eggs and veggies to make chicken fried rice
The other half of the ham steak is for breakfast. I'll make eggs with veggies and cheese

The potatoes are for potato soup (I keep the other ingredients stocked at home because they can no longer be found at Walmart)

I will use 1/2 the sausage to spruce up the country gravy and serve over biscuits
The other 1/2 sausage will be used with the mozzarella to make a pasta bake (I keep pasta odds-and-ends to make this) and I have some breadsticks in the freezer that I got for super cheap!

We will have pancakes one morning with whatever eggs I have left 

The ground beef will make 3 meals!! I've discovered that I can get 32 meatballs from a pound which is 3 meals, 5 each! I'll serve with the mashed potatoes, left-over breadsticks and gravy or veggies

The chicken fried steak comes in a package of 5.. Which is two meals for both of us and a left-over to be creative with. One day I'll use the remainder of the hamburger buns to make sandwiches

The other day I will use it in a more traditional sense.. With potatoes and gravy
A package of burritos (8) is two meals and sometimes a few left-over. I like to bake them and melt cheese over the top. 

We also have cereal and protein bars for a snack or easy breakfasts. 

Shopping doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. Stick to a list and portion control! 


Comments

Popular Posts