Writing Gives Me Wings

















Life  often brings things that are unexpected.. even to those (like myself) who plan out every day and conversation to a T.

Coping is probably one of the most important life skills to learn. And it's not even necessarily something that can be taught.
After years of counseling, I've found that out the hard way. No one, but me.. can tell me what to think, how to feel, what  to do, how to handle things ((Etc)) It's something I have to figure out on my own.

I've turned to some not-so-good methods of coping or healing, just setting myself further back. BUT one thing I've always had- even in the midst of all my other bad decisions were my artistic interests.. I really enjoy to write, paint, draw, sing, play piano..
Up until last year when I started Public School, I had done all of these things when I could make time in my busy schedule. I wouldn't really show anyone and pretty much took no pride in it. Just something to help me escape.

Luckily, that's all changed. While some home-schoolers would be appalled or terrified at the thought of changing everything about their lifestyle, I welcomed the experience. One that I will cherish forever. I've found so much solace in Public School.
Friends of my own age, some exposure to the "real world" that would have left me on my face, had I gone straight into college right out of home-school. My skin is a little tougher.. and I've learned to earn my grades more so than before. I have teachers I've never met in Conway, through Distance Learning. They don't care to get to know me as well as my former teacher/principle (Mom&Dad) did/do.. they just want that assignment turned in on time.
But it's more than all of that.
I'm no longer hiding my talents. At school; many have heard me sing, play piano, they've admired my artwork in the cafeteria, when my art teacher sneaks it out there. And in journalism just recently I won three awards!
I never set out to do well in any of these things. My intentions were solely to find a place to vent all m frustration and hurt. To find a positive way to express my feelings..
That's not to say that I'm not a perfectionist about it, and try to make my things look good.. I'm just blown away by the things I've been able to add to my Bio, in the two years I've been going to public school. The acceptance from others, the confidence I've found in myself..
There's no better feeling to me than doing something I enjoy and getting something back. Feeling like I'm doing something right, without stressing myself out over it, absolutely wonderful!

Thank you, to everyone who has been supportive of me, and the things I like to to. Every positive word goes toward making me more confident and closer to the me I want to be. Happy. On my own. Not depending on someone else's opinion, or approval.

Comments

Popular Posts