"It's the little things"

When I was younger I heard the saying "it's the little things in life, that make life worth living" (wow.. I sound like an old woman already) anyway.. when I heard it. I would just kind of blow it off.. I found it kind of hard to believe that little things could really make a HUGE difference.. well.. as of late. My life has been pretty hard (that sounded really dramatic) and I guess I've started to give this saying more of a chance.. now when I hear it, I shake my head and agree with whoever said it.. I've started being more open to the idea that the little things in life really do matter.. I've even caught myself saying it a few times. It really does make a huge difference when something small goes your way.. And in my opinion.. here's why.. When things are hard, we get down.. and negative. We tell ourselves that things are bad.. and they're going to continue to be bad. And that's all there really is to it. We refuse to believe that anything large and amazing is going to happen, changing the situation.. so when something little happens.. that sheds a little sunshine on our lives- because it wasn't something we told ourselves that wouldn't happen, but at the same time, it isn't something that we were expecting.. it really does make a difference. so maybe the situation hasn't changed.. and our lives haven't been radically changed either.. but because something small and unexpected goes our way.. we feel a tad bit better. I'm someone who tends to get very overwhelmed and stressed.. so if I'm already upset.. and then something small, -like a bobby pin breaks, while I'm frustratedly doing my hair-.. I'll seriously start to cry (ridiculous? yes!) in the same way, if I'm frustratedly doing my hair, then I look up in the mirror, and it looks pretty good.. it can seriously make me a LOT happier..

Anyway. I'm sure you get my point- so let's get to the point of this blog post, shall we?
Life is hard.. and sometimes It's especially hard. Sometimes we will allow ourselves to get so stressed that little things can either make or brake us. I'm proposing this, that we would try to maybe expect little, good things happening in our lives. That we would celebrate when they do.. and not breakdown when they don't. I realize that it's kind of impossible at times- I've tried it myself, with few results to brag, or even speak of.. but I have sort of devised a plan.. Wanna hear? if so.. keep reading :p

like we've said already- sometimes we don't get our wish.. and little awesome things don't just magically happen. So. We have to kind of help them along.. and plan in advance for them to happen. Here's what I do. You'll have to modify it to match you and what makes you happy.. but this is what helps me..

-get up early.. fix myself an awesome cup of cocoa or coffee (even though I really don't need it.. it warms my throat, and smells, tastes good.)
- finish all my school and chores as soon as possible (not only is it good to do what is expected of you, but when you do it without doddling you feel better, and more accomplished)
-try to start humming or singing awesome songs when you feel the urge to say something mean or un-necessary (no, this does not mean that you can find reasons why it IS in-fact necessary to yell at your parents or brother)
- then do something you enjoy... for me it's either scrapbooking, running, calling a friend, journaling outside, playing piano.. or whatever else..

then at the end of the day, when you can look back on all the little things that you've done that you enjoy, and you don't allow your mind to wander on the situation that you do not enjoy, you'll find that you're much happier...


So you see! it is the little things in life that make life worth living, afterall! :]

P.S. If you did do this.. please let me know how it went! I'd love to hear! :) thanks!


Comments

Popular Posts